Saturday, May 27, 2006

The Latest Fashion Fad Goes South

The publicity department at Scott's Spot was surprised when Neal, who’s currently “overnighting” as a research assistant at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole station, mentioned my blog in one of his blog posts. Neal is an interesting person and a good writer and I really like reading his blog. In one of my future posts I’ll write about why I’m interested in Antarctica. But today I have something more important to write about, and it affects Neal as well.

From Neal’s blog I have learned that people don’t just hang around shivering at the South Pole. There are plenty of good eats, and even better drinks. And while they may be limited in their supply of fresh greens, they are amply supplied with most other essential items, like party supplies. There are a number of parties at the South Pole, including costume parties. And that's where I can help. I have discovered the perfect costume for Neal to wear at the next party, whenever that might be.

In case you haven’t guessed by now, my costume is a loincloth. I’m sorry to admit it but the Scott’s Spot Clothing R&D Department was scooped by the Mitsukoshi department store in Tokyo's Ginza district. I know that Neal will not be able to take delivery of a Japanese commercial loincloth before October 21, but I’m thinking that he could make a custom loincloth during those few spare moments that he’s not servicing research instruments or watching the aurora. Or, perhaps, in the unlikely event that he doesn’t fancy himself the loincloth type, maybe he can make one (hopefully at a profit) for the Blur.

2 Comments:

At May 27, 2006, Blogger Neal said...

Ha, I wish I could say that nobody down here has thought of that, but I would by lying. During our race around the world, Denis was dressed as a Native Amarican and wore a loin cloth.

 
At May 27, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

Maybe the loincloth itself is too traditional. Maybe you could have a loincloth party with a contest rewarding the creativity of the design. Maybe the smiley face, the eagle, or your favorite species of Penguin would be an appropriate decoration. Or, maybe...this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home