Saturday, March 18, 2006

Free Expression in the Workplace

One of the problems with the working world today, other than the threat of getting fired for blogging or laid off if last quarter’s profits were off by 0.003%, is the lack of ability to express oneself creatively on the job. Work rules, procedures, restrictive policies, and tight budgets can make it tough sometimes for that inner Scottro to come out.

But now, I need look no further than Hungary for inspiration. There, Budapest hair stylist Szabolcs Bodnar is breaking all the rules, ditching the scissors, and is cutting hair with axes, swords, and vacuum cleaners. Business has been booming since he adopted his nontraditional techniques. Best of all, his methods “allow him to express himself better.” Just the thing I’m looking for in a stylist.

Bodnar cuts hair by placing it on a chopping block and striking it with an axe. After that, the hair is styled using a vacuum cleaner, or straightened with an iron. If that’s not enough, and if you’re fit enough for it, Bodnar will hang you upside down while he cuts your tresses with a Samurai sword. Your haircut can be done in a matter of seconds, although I’m guessing that Bodnar doesn’t charge by the minute in such cases.

My main issue with this is that my longest hairs are probably only 2 inches long, meaning that I’d have to place an undue amount of trust in Bodnar’s swordsmanship. I’m looking for other kinds of excitement than that.

Bodnar noted that "People never fall asleep when I am cutting their hair. Today's hairstyles allow for more creativity and inventiveness, and that is what I offer."

I’ve never fallen asleep during a haircut. Ever.

1 Comments:

At March 21, 2006, Blogger Neal said...

When I'm done on the ice, I'll be looking for a good hairstylist. I bet you get a good discount if he misses on the first swing with the ax.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home