Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Help Me Pick a New Password!

Today I got yet another message from the Password Nazi. It appears that my password is weaker than that skinny 98-pound weakling who got sand kicked in his face in the old Charles Atlas ads. I am at risk to have the top secret information in my computer stolen by one of our burgeoning number of untrustworthy employees or cleaning contractors. Our password requirements are pretty much the standard ones. The actual list of criteria literally fill an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, but they can be condensed into the following 3:

  1. 8 or more characters
  2. Need at least one of each of the following: Uppercase letter, Lowercase letter, non-numeric character
  3. Can’t contain a common word

It’s the common word restriction that appears to be the problem. I’ll admit that I do use a word in my password, but it’s not what I’d call a common one from the dictionary. Also, in comparing notes with a fellow scofflaw, I found that the only possible word in her password was “of.”

I’ve come up with a list of possible new passwords that, in addition to meeting the security standards, should be robust enough to make me the password hero at my office. But I need your help in making a choice - please leave a comment selecting the one you like. Or suggest one of your own!

  • $u?ercalifragili$t!cexpial!d0ceous
  • Pr0ct0l0gi$t
  • Pa$sw0rd
  • D0wn$ize

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home