Monday, March 13, 2006

International Women's Day - Better Late Than Never

I just found out that I missed International Women’s Day last Wednesday March 8. I think it’s because I’ve been so busy at work that I hadn’t updated my Dilbert-a-Day calendar in over a week. Also, I don’t know too many international women, so that may have been a contributing factor.

But I can still celebrate, and I need look no further than North Korea for inspiration. North Korea praises its women in song, according to a recent article on the Korean Central News Agency’s website. You really should read the article. Here is a list of songs “composed in the country in reflection of the pride and happy life of the women who are playing a great role in all fields of social life.

  • Song in praise of women in Songun era
  • Song of coast artillerywomen1
  • I am a servicewoman in Songun era
  • Like my mother in her military service days2
  • I am a front-line soldier's wife
  • I am a military officer's wife3
  • A girl innovator dashing like a steed4
  • Girls of our factory5
  • Girl silk-weavers of Nyongbyon
  • Song of wife
  • My mom who worries herself about her child
  • Women are flowers
  • Love your wives

Footnotes:

  1. This is actually the B-side of “Mined Harbor Surfer Girl” by Kim and the Beach Boys
  2. The Kim-Mart version of this song strips out the verse about the tattoo of Kim Jong Il on mother’s chest.
  3. This is a decidedly happier song than “I am a front-line soldier’s wife.”
  4. I prefer my girl innovators dashing like mares, but “to each his own.”
  5. I’d be fired if I wrote a song about the girls of our factory.

Next year for International Women’s Day I’m taking an excursion up to Nyongbyon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home