Sunday, February 12, 2006

Pittsburgh's Monster Garage

A recent Pittsburgh Post-Gazette photo spot showed these fans taking in the Monster Trucks at Pittsburgh's Mellon Arena.



First off, let me say how happy I am that the Mellon Arena is being put to such good use, because it's an abominable place to watch hockey, according to Mario Lemieux. I am certain that if at least $300 million is used to build a new arena, the fans will be ecstatic to watch the Penguins lose there.

Sorry, back to Monster Trucks...I certainly am glad to see that these fans were using hearing protectors, but I'm wondering if they got the real Monster Truck experience. Monster Trucks are supposed to be loud. If your ears aren't ringing afterwards, then it was a waste of your time and money to go. It's like going to see the Rolling Stones, except that the Monster Truck drivers are 30 years younger. Nobody goes to a Rolling Stones concert wearing hearing protectors (although some Pittsburgh fans at the Super Bowl were seen covering their ears with their Terrible Towels.) The point is - if you want to turn down the sound, then watch the Monster Truck Channel on cable TV. If you're going to see the them live, you need to, well, sacrifice your eardrums because that's the way we did it when I was a kid.

Just after this picture was taken, the following father-son bonding conversation reportedly took place:

Dad: "Son, how'd ya like the way that truck flipped over?"
Son: "Huh?"
Dad: "I said, How'd ya like the way that truck flipped over?"
Son: "I can't hear ya, Dad. I was watchin' the way that truck flipped over. It's a good thing the driver was wearing his lap and shoulder belt. Still, I think his truck would still be going if he'd shut off his cell phone. I hope you won't be talkin' on your cell phone on the way home, Dad."
Dad: "Shut up and put your hearing protector back on, Son."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home