Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Bucks the Supersizing Trend

You wanna make that a Biggie? Ah, the words that send an endorphin rush through our oversized bodies. We love our oversized portions, plus, they're a great deal. And, we don't even have to get out of the car. Just stop at the drive-through on the way home from Curves.

Despite the popularity of supersized meal combos, industry leader McDonald's has courageously decided to buck that trend. Now you can head for the nearest Golden Arches and come away with a California Cobb Salad with Grilled Chicken, Newman's Own Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette, and a 1% Low Fat Milk Jug. Precisely the things that you don't want to supersize, which (along with an edict from their anti-obesity trial lawyers) is why they got rid of the "Supersize" name.

And now, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, One of America's Great Newspapers, has also seen the light. Their crack team of specially trained portion control consultants made use of space-age technology to shrink the Sunday comics down to the size of a 39ยข stamp. I was looking at them this morning and had to get really really REALLY close to focus, taking great care not to actually brush the paper against my face lest an entire frame of Zits end up on my nose.

Now, before you label me a 21st Century Luddite, I want to make it clear that I am all for advances in nanotechnology. But not for the Sunday Comics. NEWS FLASH FOR THE POST-GAZETTE - The Sunday Paper is like Playboy - nobody buys it for the articles, all claims to the contrary notwithstanding.

Supersize the Sunday comics before I end up with Biggie bug-eyes!

3 Comments:

At February 01, 2006, Blogger Neal said...

I didn't know people even read print papers anymore. I'm sure if you wrote a letter to the editor, then they would print it in the next edition...in small font that you couldn't read. They're probably too focused right now on the football game this weekend.

 
At February 01, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

I only get the Sunday paper and I don't read it for news! Funnies, ads, classifieds and sometimes the crossword, although I mostly do Sudoku puzzles these days. And yes we're decorating everything in black and gold in advance of the game!

 
At February 01, 2006, Blogger BobbyCherry2 said...

haha, I love the print editions of papers.

But, I must also agree that I bet they were too concentrated on the Steelers. I bet those extra areas of space went to the Super Bowl-bound Steelers.

If it's a permenant thing, I'll be ticked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home